Sunday, December 5, 2010

Life's hard... so daydream!

This past week I've been really busy. The holiday started early, but my vacation is postponed by two weeks. See, the thing is I've got a part-time job for two weeks. And it's killing me.

The hours are long.
The work is really boring.
My social life is being smothered to near death.
I'm prone to a mild case of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder when doing monotonous work.

I've had ample reason to quit. Really. But the thing that kept me going is the fact that I've already laid out a spending plan for my payment. It drives me. I keeps me sane. It's my fuel for when I'm nearly burned out. And that got me thinking. (Believe me, I've had a lot of time to think at work).

Life is tough. Everybody knows it. Everybody complains about it now and then. And it sucks (not life, the being tough part). But what keeps us going? What makes us get up every morning and go to work one more time? What drives us?

It is important for us to work for something. To have a goal. An ambition. A dream! We hardly ever take the time to stop and wonder what we are working for. It's time to dream again! To become the dreaming generation. Going through life without a dream is like going through a fire drenched in oil. It's pointless. It's inconvenient. It's hell.

Most people get depressed when thinking about their dreams and ambitions mainly because they never seem to fully achieve them. So they aim lower to make their goals more achievable. They slack. They don't achieve their goals. They aim lower. They slack more. Achieve even less. Aim even lower. A sick cycle starts and before you know it Super Suzie turned into Slacker Suzie. The secret to prevent this is to expect an incomplete achievement. Aim ridiculously high and achieve only part of your goal. Even though you didn't reach the top of the top, you'd still be better off than when you aimed lower and slacked more.

We don't just need something to die for, but something to live for!

1 comment:

  1. I think very similarly along the same lines as you! Interesting thoughts buddie, dream big or go home.

    Quite mature thinking for your age, I might add.

    ReplyDelete