Sunday, November 14, 2010

My Hero?

Oral topics in primary school are always the same. I can almost bet the most common topic is 'My Hero/Role Model'. I felt like a kid these past few weeks, and decided that I should blog on a 'kid-topic'. So without further ado, here's my blog/oral/essay on My Hero:

Thinking about influential people that might act as an inspiration in my life, sends my thoughts on a roller coaster ride through history. And I don't like history. But nevertheless, dreams and aspirations don't inspire. Great achievements and unbelievable feats inspire. Therefore it's necessary to take a look at the past when searching for your hero.

I might say that Nelson Mandela is my hero. He was a loyal man fighting for an honest cause.
I might say that Thomas Edison is my hero. Teaching us to never give up.
I might even say that my dad is my hero. Looking after our family and working hard each day.
But my hero is a very well-known man, with a not so well-known past. My hero, as I only recently realized, is George.

Born in Northern Virginia in 1732, George lived in a middle-class family. He was home schooled by his father and older brother, but both died young. George lost his father when he was a mere eleven years of age. He was never really considered very bright, but nevertheless he applied himself to his studies and by the age of sixteen he mastered geometry, trigonometry and surveying (think algebra and calculus).

At seventeen years of age, George got his first job. And what a job it was! He was appointed Official Surveyor of Culpeper County in Virginia. A hard job indeed. As surveyor, he needed to measure and record previously unmapped territories, often using heavy logs and chains.

After three years as surveyor, the governor appointed George to the state militia as a Major. When he was twenty-two, George had been promoted to Lieutenant Colonel, and by twenty-three he was Commander in Chief of the Virginia militia. After twenty years he became the Commander in Chief of the entire Continental army and eventually went on to become the first president of the United States of America - George Washington!

George Washington's life is an example to us all of what we can achieve if we put our minds to a task. Although he did not know what his future held for him at age 17, he did his job to the best of his abilities. When taking a look at George Washington's life and seeing what he achieved we can surely try to follow his example. He once said:
"Ninety-nine percent of failures come from people who have the habit of making excuses."
The greatest evil that holds us from our destiny is not our incompetence, but procrastination. Let's make the choice to live up to the old Latin proverb 'Carpe Diem!' - seize the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment