Thursday, November 18, 2010

Rule #32

If you haven't watched Zombieland, then you better get in your car and go rent it before you finish reading this post.


I've watched Zombieland multiple times, but each time one specific thing stands out above the rest. No, it's not the lack of meaningful story, or the fact that Bill Murray gets shot. It's Rule #32: Enjoy the little things.


Even though the world is in mortal peril, America hardly exists as a country and everyone you know turned into an undead flesh eating monster, there is always time to appreciate the sunshine or smell a flower. Life gets so rushed and we "organize" ourselves with milliards of to-do lists, and check lists, and reminders, and schedules, and what-not's. Instead of making our lives easier, these things just add more stress with the reminder of you haven't done yet. We need to take time to break loose from this scheduled world, do something impulsive or rash, and enjoy a little thing that we've forgotten about in our daily rush.


Typing in "Rule 32" into Google was probably the best thing I could have done today. Not just was a 'little thing' that I could enjoy, it also gave me the best advice. Ever. The very first link Google gives is to a site called Urban Dictionary, a dictionary giving meaning to slang, jargon and other informal ways of speech. This is the definition it gave to 'Rule 32':

an internet rule that states that if it can be said, it can be said with a picture
why say "i see what you did there" when you can just as easily scour the interweb for hours trying to find a picture of an owl with a text edit saying the same thing?
I just love quotes. And I love them even more in pictures. So I went in search of a picture (from the movie) to add to this post to state exactly what I've been trying to say in words. And I succeeded in my search.



Remember: When in doubt: Nut up, or shut up.

No comments:

Post a Comment